Tuesday 21 February 2012

Paper Sculptures in Progress

If you've been to any of the Butterscotch & Beesting market stalls, you might have spotted the quite brilliant vintage paper figures that my beautiful friend Rachael gave to me. I use them all the time in my displays.


I think she found them at a boot sale, but they were made by a firm called Party Productions in Bow, East London, probably some time in Fifties or Sixties. 


They quite often pop up in my product shots too, especially the ringmaster...

Here is is introducing the Huffhopper.

I wanted to make my own versions of the figures using characters and prints from the Butterscotch & Beesting Circus, so I've been busy making some prototypes. 






This is the Tattercock, and these photos show how he's progressed from a flat paper sketch to a nearly finished 3D model. 


I'm also working on a version of the Winged Hot Air Balloon, which Betty and Bumblewick use when they need to get about. 


And I've almost finished Bumblewick in his Lion-Tamer attire, complete with podium – all he needs now is a lion! 

They will all be professionally printed, so they will look much more smart and proper than these prototypes! And they'll come already cut out, in nice packaging, with instructions on how to assemble them – although they're super simple to put together and don't even need scissors or glue. 

I'm hoping to have them all finished for the British Library Spring Market next Thursday (1st March), so you'll be able to take a bit of the Butterscotch & Beesting Circus back with you to assemble at home.   There are more details about that market here. It should be really, really good, as there are some truly talented makers showing their work. It would be lovely to see you there if you fancy popping along.

No comments:

Post a Comment